You may have seen vegan queso made with cashews or eggplant or quinoa or cauliflower but you haven’t seen a vegan queso made like this. Or maybe the thought of “vegan” and “queso” has completely blown your mind.
People on a Dairy Free Diet are allowed to eat Mexican too you know. It may have more veggies than you thought could go in a queso but that isn’t such a bad thing. If anything, your doctor may thank us for sneaking vegetables into a once very unhealthy food.
Whenever I make something this tasty and vegan, I like to serve it to my friends without anyone it is actually dairy free. To get real reactions. Usually, when salsa is involved it is almost impossible to tell anything is different.
What makes this recipe truly unique? This Vegan Queso recipe is totally thugged out.
How do I know? Because it is adopted from the Thug Kitchen cookbook.
- 2 cups veggie broth (separated)
- 1 cup of unsweetened cashew milk (any nut milk)
- 2 large organic potatoes (washed, peeled and cubed)
- 2 large organic carrots (rinsed and chopped)
- ¼ cup organic yellow onion or a shallot (chopped)
- ½ cup of Braggs Nutritional Yeast
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 TBS of fresh lime juice
- 1 TBS of Braggs Amino Acids or Coconut Amino Acids
- 1 TBS of coconut oil
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- ½ tsp of cumin
- Pinch of sea salt
- Rinse, peel and chop your carrots and potatoes.
- Peel and crush your garlic.
- Heat up the 1 TBS of coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat and then add your onions. Simmer until golden.
- Now add 1 cup of the veggie broth, your carrots, potatoes, and garlic. Stir and cover until your carrots and potatoes soften up.
- Once the vegetables are soft, take off the burner while you move to the blender.
- Add the other cup of vegetable broth, Braggs amino acids, lime juice, milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt, cumin, chili powder and everything in your skillet to the blender. Blend it together to a creamy texture.
- Taste your mix and add whatever you feel like it is missing.
- Stir in any additional ingredients like guacamole, jalapenos, salsa or fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Garnish with cilantro and devour!